Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Leeds

After I spent 2 weeks in and around Toronto (which was very nice and I had a good time, except that it was really cold), I went to England, on another aeroplane. Aeroplanes are not that fun, but this journey was 6 hours of sitting in a chair, not 12 or anything. I've also got used to emptying my mind of all thought, it makes the time pass quicker. It also makes me a more dull person, which is an unwelcome side-effect of doing boring things.


I stayed with my parents just outside Cambridge for a night, and I slept from about 7pm until noon the next day. partly because of jetlag and that travelling makes you feel tired, but also because the sun in England in the winter doesn't rise high enough for you to really realise that it is daytime.


Then I caught a train or 2 to get to Leeds. I found my way to the venue called the Packhorse, and met Gareth Cavill there, who is a very lovely guy. His musical project is called Cavil (with one 'l') which is a word that means to raise petty objections. Cavil and the other local group called 'at swim two birds' both play music which is both miserable and beautiful, which is not too surprising, since Leeds is the home of goth. It was a really nice gig. There weren't too many people, but the people that were there were very friendly and were really into the music.
During my set, a couple of drunken girls, drunkenly shouting how fabulous I am, tried to get in the room, but the door man didn't let them in, but I was saying that they could come in if they payed the 4 pounds door fee.
I really enjoyed Gareth's set because I knew (almost) all the songs really well, because I mixed his forthcoming album. But it was great to hear them stripped back to their essentials.


There's Gareth a.k.a. Cavil, playing and singing a nice song.


There's at swim two birds.

During their set, a guy dressed as santa claus opened the door, with a look on his face as if to ask if we want him to come in and spread some christmas cheer. The guy on the door shook his head significantly, as if to say that no, we're not really into your christmas cheer in here..

No comments: