Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gothenburg

In Gothenburg, it was quite a different place compared to all other places, as far as music goes. Or at least that's what it seemed like because of the festival that was going on. We played at a thing called Preview, which went for 4 days, and it was in a theatre that's usually for plays and stuff.

The festival was designed to get indie pop and experimental performers who usually play in little clubs and stuff onto a stage where people could watch and listen to them properly, in a different kind of environment. It was pretty unusual, because it was a big stage with bright lights, and tiered seating, and everyone sat down and gave their full silent attention. It was pretty unnerving but also quite nice. We saw the Embassy play on the Saturday night, and the place was packed. Jens Lekman was there and I caught up with him a bit. On Sunday Matt and I played. There weren't quite so many people, but there were certainly enough to make us feel well appreciated. I don't have any photos from there, but there's video you can watch here:
http://www.uppvind.se/preview/dayfour.html
Unfortunately I left my guitar tuner in my suitcase..

The best thing about it was that indie music was given a real stage, and there was a real audience, and they came for 4 days, and they were really listening and enjoying, and buying CDs and the music was all pretty good.

Matt and I hung around in Gothenburg for another day and a half or so after that. There's Matt on the hill.

There's Matt and I with Sabina, who was one of the helpers at the festival and was friendly and showed us around the town a bit and stuff.

There's Sabina's cat with me putting a mug on his head. I think he liked it.

That's what Gothenburg looks like in the city, there's a river.

There's me in a cafe with a tea strainer.

There's Matt in the city near a tram in the afternoon.

There's me in front of the big gallery building at the top of the avenue (like in the jens lekman song) and they were projecting stuff onto it with sound too, it was a big show.

And people were frozen in the street, all looking at it. I like this photo.

That's what the street looks like.

No comments: